All you need to know about OPay in Nigeria: OPay is a one-stop mobile-based platform for payments, transfers, loans, savings, and other essential services for every individual. Currently, OPay boasts of over over 18 million registered app users and 500,000 agents in Nigeria who rely on OPay’s services to send and receive money, pay bills, and many more.
OPay has been making the rounds in and outside Nigeria’s tech echo chamber. From providing mobile payment to offering bike-, tricycle- and bus-hailing services, quick loans, and food delivery, OPay has become a super app in Nigeria.
How to open an OPay account
If you have downloaded the OPay app, here is how to create an account with OPay:
- Open the OPay app and click on ‘Create a new account’.
- You will be required to enter your mobile number. Make sure the number is accurate and active, as OPay will send an OTP to that number you are expected to input in the box below your number.
- After you have received the OTP and added it, tap ‘Confirm’ to proceed
- Next, you will be required to create a six-digit password which you would use to access your new OPay account
- After your password is saved, you will need to fill in your details.
- Once that is done, your OPay login is completed, and you can start enjoying the fantastic benefits of OPay.
What are the key features of the OPay App?
- Buy Airtime: You can buy airtime for your mobile phone and for other people. MTN, 9Mobile, Glo, and Airtel are currently supported
- Buy Data: You can buy a data plan for any mobile phone. MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9Mobile are currently supported by this service.
- Subscribe to Pay TV: You can subscribe to Satellite and Terrestrial Pay-TV services like DSTV, GOTV, and Startimes.
- Pay Electricity Bill: You can now pay for Electricity. Several Electricity distribution companies (Discos) are supported some of which are, Eko, Abuja, Ibadan, Kano, Ikeja, and Port Harcourt
- Hail a Ride: There are a number of hailing services offered by OPay. You have ORide for hailing bikes, OCar for hailing cars (similar to Uber), OTrike for hailing tricycles, and OBus for hailing buses.
- Order for Food Delivery: You can place orders of food from local restaurants that are near you.
- Transfer Money: You can use Opay to transfer money to other OPay users or to any Nigerian bank account.
- Pay with QR: This is a new service that will enable you to pay for goods and services conveniently at physical locations and brick n mortar stores. Merchants that have support for OPay QR would have a sign showing that. After shopping just scan the QR code on the payment page to make the payment for the goods.
- Receive Money by QR: As an OPay user. This means can you can scan your QR code to send you money.
- Get a Quick Loan: Using the OKash service you can get a quick short-term loan.
- Make Investment: OWealth offers a 10% annual rate on your investment.
- Fund your Betting Account: You can also fund your betting account with OPay. Sports Betting services that are currently supported on OPay include Bet9ja, NairaBet, Cloudbet, and Supabets,
- List your Products and Services: OList is a classified ads site that enables you to post ads about your business.
- Build an Online Presence: OLeads is a service that enables you to build a website in minutes. It is a very easy, fast, and affordable way to build an online presence for your business.
OPay USSD transfer codes
*955# is the unique Opay USSD code designed for customers to perform banking transactions including money transfers, airtime, and data purchase, making withdrawals, funding betting accounts, account creation, and so on.
The Opay transfer code is *955#, select the option “Transfer” option, enter the recipient’s account or phone number, enter the amount you want to transfer, then input your Opay PIN to complete the transfer.
To make it simpler, here’s how to transfer money on Opay via USSD code.
- Open the dialer app on your phone and dial *955#
- Select the option for “Transfer”
- Select “1” for Opay or “2” for transfer to other banks
- Select the bank you want to transfer money to if not Opay
- Enter the recipient’s account/phone number
- Enter the amount you want to transfer
- Then, input your Opay PIN to authorize the transaction.
How to unlock your blocked OPay account
Having your OPay account locked, in plain terms, means you cannot carry out any activity on the application or Your machine and you have to unblock the OPay account be it a virtual top-up, receiving and transfer of funds, payment of bills, and others.
Is your OPay account locked and you can’t make transactions? Try out these methods below as attempts to fix all your issues on OPay.
- Complete your account registration fully by verifying your email address and phone number.
- Enter and link your BVN to your OPay account.
- Complete your KYC (Know Your Customer), KYC levels are set by the Central Bank of Nigeria to prevent identity theft and financial fraud. OPay provides up to 4 KYC levels including the agents level.
- Contact OPay through their customer care line, email address, or social media accounts.
How to apply for OPay POS in Nigeria
Opay POS machines are one of the most popular payment processors in Nigeria. They were first introduced to the Nigerian market in 2010. Since then, Opay has become one of the most widely-used payment processors for merchants and consumers. Opay POS machines are very reliable, easy to use, and offer different features that make them highly convenient for businesses in Nigeria.
Applying for Opay POS in Nigeria is quite simple. You can apply for a POS from the Opay mobile application or via their website. You will need to register your business or brand on the Opay platform and fill in the required information.
Once you have installed the software, you can accept payments via Opay. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for Opay POS.
- Download and install the Opay Business app on your phone.
- If you already have an Opay account that you opened using the regular Opay app, you may skip the above step.
- If you already have an account, you must select “Merchant” from the Opay Business app login page.
- Next, log in using your credentials, such as your phone number and password.
- Once logged in, click on the “My POS” tab icon.
- Find the “Apply for POS” tab icon and click on it.
- You will be directed to a page where you will select the type of POS machine you want to apply for and where you will pick up the machine.
- Once you have selected your preferences, tap on the “Next” tab.
- Next, provide your last two-three months’ bank statements and one or two emergency contacts. The requirements will depend on the type of POS machine you are applying for.
- To finish this step, tap on the “submit” tab to submit the data.
- Once you submit, you will be required to pay the caution fee and provide other necessary details about you, such as a photo of a valid government ID and a photo of your shop where you will be using the POS machine.
- After you have submitted all the documents and met the requirements, its agents will take up to one week to review your application. The approval mostly depends on the amount and number of transactions on your bank statement report. If your application goes through, you’ll receive a notification through a text message, phone call, or email address.
How to fund your OPay wallet
How to fund Opay wallet using a bank transfer
The first deposit option that you’ll first see on Opay is the bank transfer method, and it is the most popular way of adding money to your Opay wallet.
- Open your Opay app and sign in to your account.
- Click on “Add Money”
- Select the “Bank Transfer” option
- Now, copy your account number
- Open your bank mobile app
- Select the “Transfer” option
- Paste the account number in the appropriate spot
- Select/search for Paycom or Opay as your bank name
- Then, proceed to transfer the money.
How to fund your OPay account using USSD on your phone
To make it simpler to understand below is a guide on how to transfer money to an OPay account using USSD.
- Open your Opay app and log in to your account.
- Click on the “Add Money” button.
- Select the “Bank USSD” option.
- Select the bank you want to transfer money from.
- Enter the amount you want to transfer, and click next.
- Now, copy the USSD code that appears on your screen.
- Paste the code in your phone dialer and dial.
- Confirm the name, and enter your bank transactional pin.
How to contact OPay customer care for POS issues
OPay WhatsApp contact
Do you need help right now with your OPay POS machine? Contact OPay customer service via chat at +234 (01) 8888329.
Alexander House, Otunba Jobi Fele Way. Ikeja. Lagos, Nigeria.
Our office service hours are Monday – Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM (WAT)
OPay customer representative Email Address
Do you have a question regarding your OPay POS business? You can help yourself through the OPay email channel – [email protected]
OPay POS Fraud related issues
For fraud-related issues please contact OPay via email and they will respond immediately at [email protected]
How to delete my Opay account?
To delete your Opay account, you will need to follow the below instructions:
- Login to the email address that you used to register your Opay account, make sure it is the same email address.
- You will then need to compose an email, clearly stating that you want your Opay account to be canceled, deleted, or deactivated.
- Make sure that the subject of your email clearly states your intention e.g. “Request to delete Opay account”
- Send the email to [email protected]
- Once your email is received, Opay will process your request and delete your account.
FAQs on OPay in Nigeria
A payment service provider, food delivery and loan services firm, OPay, has been given approval by the Central Bank of Nigeria to commence international money transfers in Nigeria.
With the USSD code: *955#, OPay customers can buy airtime, send money, and perform deposit and withdrawal transactions at an Agent’s from any mobile phone.
The loan feature in Opay is easy to use, all you have to do is install the Opay app, complete the registration process, then login to the app and click on the loan option in the app to request a loan.
You should know that the government does not allow financial institutions to give their customers the option of deleting their transaction history. This is because the transaction history is proof that a transaction occurred and can be used for reference purposes.